What: Shape V: The Shape of Melee to Come (Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament), featuring two of the world’s best players: Armada (from Sweden) and Armada! When: Saturday, Sept. 27, 8:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. Where: Lakeland Community College, Main Campus Gymnasium (Google Maps directions) PRE-Registration: GDLent.com/register [caption id="attachment_703" align="alignnone" width="1024"] Look at all this space! Shape will take place in an entire half of Lakeland Community College’s main gymnasium.[/caption] Why: One of the Midwest’s top Smash T.O.s is teaming up with GDL Entertainment videogaming events and the Lakeland Gamer’s Guild for an epic Midwest gaming event!
- Food/drink for sale just outside the venue all day and night
- Dozens of Melee setups
- Other retro- and fighting-game events and challenges to compete in (Mario Kart 8, Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!, etc.)
- Quality stream broadcasts, including one dedicated to Smash.
- Try not-yet-released games from Cleveland indie developers
- Sweet videogaming apparel and art for sale
Competition format: Standard tournament rules, listed on Smashboards.com.If you’ve never played Melee in a tournament before: READ the Smashboards rules! Key Points to Remember:
- Don’t get DQ’d: Pre-registrants will be notified in advance of their assigned competition time. Failure to show gives the tournament directors the right to disqualify you with no refund. Pay attention, double check the scheduled times online or at the venue if you need, and you’ll have a great time!
- Pools, Then Bracket (Singles): Players first compete in a round-robin pool, then the top players of each pool move to a double elimination bracket.
- Doubles, too: Large Smash events like Shape always have a team (2v2) tournament following singles. Each is a separate registration. You may register even without a partner, but it’s best to have someone lined up so you can be matched up in our system, in advance!
- Picking stages before each match is a very specific process. KNOW the rules beforehand so you can be prepared on tournament day so you can enjoy it!